If you were recently injured in a car accident and plan to sue the other driver, you may consider hiring a personal injury attorney who has experience litigating these kinds of accidents. This article will provide some information regarding the role of car accident attorneys.
What Does a Car Accident Attorney Do?
A car accident attorney is a personal injury attorney who typically engages in some of the following duties:
- Communicating with the other driver’s insurance company
- Communicating with your health care providers to make sure they provide any necessary medical information so that you can prove damages in your claim
- Obtaining the necessary evidence to help determine which party was at fault for the accident
- Organizing your medical records and bills
- Presenting the evidence in your case in court in order to prove liability and damages
- Negotiating with lien holders on your claim (such as health, disability, or workers’ compensation insurers) to potentially reduce the amount of those liens
- Negotiating a satisfactory settlement among the parties
What Do the Best Car Accident Attorneys Have in Common?
The best car accident attorneys will likely have the following qualities in common:
- They have experience and get results. The best car accident attorneys will have significant experience litigating these kinds of cases. This could be represented by the number of years of experience they have with these cases (10+ years, for example) and/or the number of cases they have successfully litigated (for example, they have won over 100 of these cases in their career). You will want to hire an attorney who has a track record of successful litigation.
- They charge on a contingency basis. The best car accident attorneys will not charge you a dime unless and until you win your case in court. The best attorneys will also not try to charge any additional hidden fees, as some other attorneys do. You will want to hire an attorney who is completely upfront about any fees they plan to charge you.
- They communicate well and make themselves available for their clients. The best car accident attorneys engage in effective communication with their clients. Communication is key within the attorney-client relationship. You will want to hire an attorney who will have time for you and your case and who will be available to answer any questions or concerns you might have. A good attorney will frequently communicate with you about the status of your case and alert you of any upcoming deadlines.
- They take a genuine interest in you and your case. The best car accident attorneys will be genuinely interested in you and your case. After you are injured in a car accident, you do not want to go to an attorney who will make you feel like just another client they need to quickly dispose of. A good attorney will intently listen to your experience and will show some level of empathy for what you endured. Additionally, a good attorney will respect your emotions and will frequently ask for your input regarding the trajectory of your case.
What Kinds of Questions Should I Ask the Attorney During My Consultation?
Either before or during your first consultation appointment, you should consider asking the attorney some of the following questions:
- “What steps should I take to protect my case?”
- “How long will it take for my case to be resolved?”
- “What do you plan to do for my case?”
- “What kind of damages am I entitled to receive?”
- “Will my case actually go to trial?”
- “How often do you plan to communicate with me about my case?”
- “What are your fees?”